DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
The Physics Department of Smt. Devkiba Mohansinhji Chauhan College of Commerce and Science, Silvassa, established in 2014, is committed to accomplish the motto of the Institute “Education in Service of the Society” and has played a pivotal role in the Institute since its inception. Currently, the Department has a gamut of highly motivated, well-qualified and talented faculty members whose research interests span over theoretical and experimental aspects of Material Science, Nanotechnology, Nuclear Physics, and Acoustics. They have, to their credit, several research papers published in high-quality research journals, presentations in numerous conferences, attendance in several Faculty Development Programmes and Workshops for improving their technical skills. The faculty members are also members of various National and International bodies.
The department currently offers 3 – year B.Sc. programme in Physics. The Department focuses on the overall holistic development of students by incorporating practical courses with theoretical curriculum. The students are encouraged to study theories which are organically linked to hands-on trainings. The Department strives to bring in the much needed excitement of studying Physics. The Department provides distinctive learning opportunities to students by way of participation in various workshops, seminars, and project presentations. In addition, the Department collaborates with other Institutes and Industries to help students earn their Internships during vacations. Apart from experiencing close interaction with faculties from the Department, the students also get ample opportunities to interact with eminent faculties from other recognized institutes and universities. The Department thrives to strike a balance between theoretical knowledge and real-life applications by way of demonstration and hands-on experience with many instruments in their well-equipped laboratory having facilities like Hall Effect apparatus, Quincke’s method, Ballistic Galvanometer, Solar Cell Characteristics, Newton’s Rings apparatus, He-Ne Lasers, Electronics based experiments, and Computer Interfaced Physics experiments, to name a few.
• Educational Institutes like IITs, NITs, IISER, IISc, Central/State Universities, Government and Private Institutes, BITS
• Space Research Organizations like ISRO, IUCAA
• Ministry of HRD : CSIR Labs, NCL, NPL, AMPRI, CECRI, CGCERI, CDRI, CSIO, CSMCRI, IMMT
• Ministry of Defence : DRDO, SSPL, DIAT, ASME, ASEMIT, DEAL, DIBER, DIPAS, DMSRDE, HEMRL • Department of Atomic Energy : TIFR, IPR, BARC, RRCAT, IGCAR, GCNEP
• Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology : CMET, SAMEER
• Ministry of New and Renewable Energy : NISE, NIWE, SSSNIRE, IRDA, SECI
• Central Public Enterprise : NTPC, ONGC, SAIL, BHEL ….. and many more !
Name of Faculty
Mr. Vijay Dubey
Dr. Ravi Ingale
A) Workshop Attended
1) Mr. Anirvan Gupta participated in the “Exposure Camp for Physics” under the “Olympiad Programme”, held at Homi Bhabha Center for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, from 2nd to 6th December 2019. He was amongst the 40 teachers selected from all over the country to be trained as a trainer at National Olympiads programme leading to International Olympiads in Physics.
2) Mr. Anirvan Gupta attended a workshop on Plagiarism and Research, organized by DELNET and SUN, at Sandip University, Nashik.
3) Mr. Vijay Dubey attended one day Webinar on Cyber Crime during Corona Virus Era organized by Mansi Bharat Gada Degree College of Commerce.
4) Mr. Vijay Dubey attended a Webinar on Innovative Disruptive Technology by Magic Data.
5) Mr. Vijay Dubey attended webinar on Understanding and Tackling a Few Unattended Areas of the NAAC Assessment conducted by Maniben Nanavati Women’s College.
B) Faculty Development Programme Attended
1) Mr. Anirvan Gupta attended a one-week Faculty Development Programme on “Train the Trainers” at UGC – HRDC Faculty Development Centre, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, under the PMMMNMTT Scheme.
2) Mr. Anirvan Gupta, Mr. Jyotindra Jaripatke and Mr. Vijay Dubey participated in One-Day Faculty Development Programme organized by Ignited Minds, Pune, and IQAC, Smt. Devkiba Mohansinhji Chauhan College of Commerce and Science, Silvassa, at Silvassa on 10th October 2019.
3) Mr. Vijay Dubey attended a one-week Faculty Development Programme on “Nanomaterials – Synthesis, Properties and Characterization” sponsored by TEQIP III, held at Department of Metallurgy and Material Science, College of Engineering Pune, Pune, from 16th to 20th December 2019.
4) Mr. Anirvan Gupta completed National Level FDP on “Decoding Examination During and Post COVID 19” on 8th May 2020, organized by Skillslate and Zovi Studios, Pune.
5) Mr. Anirvan Gupta completed three-day National Level FDP on “Online College Management and Online Content Creation Tools” organized by Lala Lajpat Rai College of Commerce and Economics and University of Mumbai with North Storm Academy, from 30th April to 2nd May 2020.
6) Mr. Anirvan Gupta completed one-week National Level FDP on “Moodle Leaning Management System” under the PMMMNMTT Scheme, organized by Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay and Vidyalankar School of Information Technology, Mumbai, from 20th to 25th April 2020.
7) Mr. Anirvan Gupta completed one-day FDP on “Robotics Process Automation : A Tool of Business Growth”, organized by Indian Accounting Association, Thane, on 19th April 2020.
8) Mr. Anirvan Gupta completed one-week National Level FDP on “Intellectual Property Rights” organized by Pillai HOC College of ASC, Rasayani, in association with Lawgical Legal Solutions, from 20th to 26th April 2020.
9) Mr. Anirvan Gupta completed a one-week National Level FDP on “LATEX Training” organized by Sinhgad Institute of Engineering, Vadgaon, and Spoken Tutorial Project, IITB under the National Mission on Education through ICT, MHRD, from 27th April to 2nd May 2020.
C) Paper Presentation in Conferences
1) Mr. Anirvan Gupta presented a Research Paper titled “A Study of Acoustic Environment in Temples to Determine Their Appropriateness for Congregational Activities” at the ‘Young Scientists Conference’ as a part of “India International Science Festival – 2019” funded by Ministry of Science and Technology, GOI, held at Kolkata during November 2019.
2) Mr. Anirvan Gupta presented a research paper titled “An Investigation of Acoustical Resonance in Humans through Determination of Individual Natural Frequency” at National Conference on Recent Innovations in Engineering, Science and Technology held at Sandip Foundation’s SIEM, Nashik.
3) Mr. Anirvan Gupta presented a research paper titled “Emotional Intelligence – A Key Factor for Conducive and Sustainable Development of Students” at National Webinar on “Sustainable Development in Commerce, Management and Economics in the 21st Century” organized by NSS College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai, on 25th April 2020.
D) Paper Publications in Proceedings or Research Journals
1) Mr. Anirvan Gupta published a research paper titled “A Study of Appropriateness of Temple Enclosures for Congregational Activities” in the International Journal of Advance and Innovative Research, ISSN : 2394-7780, UGC J. No. 63571, 170-177, Vol 6, Issue 2 (XXIV), June 2019.
2) Mr. Anirvan Gupta published a research paper titled “Acoustical Resonance in Humans through Determination of Individual Natural Frequency” in the International Journal of Science and Research (ISSN : 2319-7064, Vol 9, Issue 2, February 2020, SJIF 7.426, DOI : 10.21275/SR20212105347)
3) Mr. Anirvan Gupta published a research paper titled “Emotional Intelligence – A Key Factor for Conducive and Sustainable Development of Students” in the Studies in Indian Place Names Journal (UGC Care List), ISSN : 2394-3114, March 2020.
E) Membership of Educational Cell, Institution, Academic Bodies
1) Mr. Anirvan Gupta has been elected as a member of Institute of Acoustics (Student Section) – The Acoustics Group of Institute of Physics and the British Acoustical Society, United Kingdom.
2) Mr. Anirvan Gupta is a member of Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT), India.
3) Mr. Anirvan Gupta is a member of International Association of Engineers (IAENG), Hong Kong.
F) Students Achievements and Miscellaneous Activities
1) Three students from the Department of Physics (F.Y. and S.Y.B.Sc.), Ms. Neha Tiwadi, Mr. Avinash Rai and Ms. Mehviz completed their 15 – day Industrial Internship Programme in the Instrumentation and Production division of Universal Cosmetics, Rakholi, in the month of December 2019.
2) Three students from the Department of Physics, Mr. Vineet Pathak, Mr. Hrutik Chudasama and Ms. Prajakta Karnik participated and presented their research project titled “Periodic Calibration of Musical Instruments using ExpEYES – A Scientific Approach” in the ‘Inter-University Avishkar Research Convention 2019-2020’, organized by the University of Mumbai, held at Palghar (District level) in December 2019.
3) Mr. Anirvan Gupta was invited to act as a Judge during U.T. Level Science Seminar – 2019 organized by the Department of Science and Technology, U.T. of Dadra and Nagar Haveli on 29th August 2019. The winner of this contest went on to secure second position at the National Level Science Seminar – 2019 held at Guwahati.
1) Mr. Anirvan Gupta guided a Research Project Titled “Periodic Calibration of Musical Instruments Using ExpEYES – A Scientific Approach” in Pure Sciences category at 14th Inter-Collegiate Avishkar Research Convention 2019-20 held at Palghar (District level) on 7th December 2019.
2) Mr. Anirvan Gupta was invited as a Resource Person and delivered a talk on “Careers in Physics” to undergraduate science students at SSR College of ACS, Silvassa, on 23rd September 2019.
3) The Department of Physics, in conjunction with Maharashtra Association of Training and Placement Officers (MaTPO) organized an online aptitude contest “MaTPO Aptitude Idol – 2019” on 22nd July 2019 to enhance employability of students to get better job offers. This test was conducted free of charge for all participating students. Prof. Anirvan Gupta was a member of MaTPO, Nasik region.
4) With efforts of the staff of Department of Physics, Smt. Devkiba Mohansinhji Chauhan College of Commerce and Science has been selected as the centre for National Science Examination (NSE) in the region of U.T. of Dadra and Nagar Haveli. This examination is the only platform which leads students to National Science Olympiads held at HBCSE, TIFR, Mumbai.
5) Motivational Lectures were organized for the students by the Department of Physics during academic year 2019 – 2020. Details are as under:
a) Avenues in Basic Sciences – By Dr. Vijay Raybagkar, University of Pune (SPPU). He is also a co-author of NCERT Physics Books and an Eminent Researcher. Total number of participants were 190, including students and their parents.
b) A Portable Science Lab : ExpEYES – By Dr. Ajith Kumar B.P., Senior Scientist (H), Electronics and Radio Frequency Laboratory, Inter-University Accelerator Center, New-Delhi. Total numbers of participants were 160.
c) Mr. Anirvan Gupta was invited to act as a Judge during Science Exhibition held at Lions English School, Silvassa, for category of Junior College students.